Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Why My Thala Rocks

I met this man (I don’t know his name) at Kodambakkam while I was vrooming on my bike. He asked me lift. I picked him near Liberty bus stop. He said he was walking from Nungambakkam after attending the cremation in Marina beach. Now you know where I’m coming from.

On further talking with him, he said he is a road-side vegetable vendor near Poonthamalli (Poonamallee), some village after Poonthamalli. He was wearing a white shirt and vesti, on the head he was wearing the AIADMK flag, which was wrapped in typical rural style. He continued with his village accent. He started from his home in early morning 6 AM (6th Dec), since no transport was available; he took lifts and walked throw GST, Arcot Road and Mount Road. He reached Rajaji hall around 10 AM. He struggled in the crowd to get the glimpse of his leader. He used choicest words on policemen who didn’t let him to the see properly.

He was there at Rajaji hall all day. In the evening he walked through the procession to the beach. He was surviving without food, but only occasional water packets and tea, even that he couldn’t afford as it was priced high.

I said I can drop him till Porur, but he said not to trouble me and got down near Vadapalani bus stand. He said he’ll sure get some vehicles or he’ll walk all way through. He started to walk.

There were many people who travelled many a distance for this event. Spent their money and time.

The vegetable vendor is my Thala.

Journalists- It’s not only film stars travel to pay their last respects. Don’t write for footfalls.


No comments:

Post a Comment