Monday, September 29, 2014

Motorcycle Diaries - 1




I was not very fond of riding bikes (motorcycles!), I should confess that I was extremely scared because I had an accident in my school days. This accident put me in an immovable state for 15 days, no bones were broken, but severe wounds (perunggayam). I tried to overcome the fear while in college, but it got worst, I went on to hit the railway track, fortunately no train was passing at that time otherwise the train would have experienced severe damages.

After coming to Chennai, there was no opportunity to have a bike, actually and factually- I didn't create the opportunity, whichever office I went cabs were given and when I want to roam around the city I used to take the public transport. Years went by peacefully, but then it became a necessity to have a bike. (Kudumbam Peruthudichi). I couldn't escape the crowd, I had to yield for it. I had to go for a gear-less. I went for Wego, which was new to the market then and a unique choice of white color. 

I was scared of driving in the city roads, as I’m experienced in seeing/feeling how the cab drivers maneuver their cars. In few days, after few kilometers of practicing, I felt the fellow drivers were very kind, may be everyone knew that I was new. The only secret I didn't know then was if the driver (bike) turns his\her head to right, it means s\he is going to turn right, no indicator or hand signal is needed. If you want to turn right, then turn your head right. If you want to turn left, turn your head left. So Simple. But, the biggest hurdle was yet to come. Licence.

To be continued..

PS: Later, this post writer became the first man to ride the Wego for 258.4 Kms in 5 Hours and 24 mins. www.teashoptalks.blogspot.in/2014/05/a-brainless-journey.html

Photo Credit: IVaR


No comments:

Post a Comment