Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Tale of Two Chappals


This incident happened a few years back in Bangalore. For some reason, I always used to get a theist as my roommate, be it in school, college or while searching for job or when I started to work in Chennai. Sometimes, they (not all) try to convince me and we used have big arguments. This Bangalore incident was with my good friend (still a good friend!) Vijai, with whom I haven't had any “religion” or “god” related arguments, because we know each other well, if he says “North” then I’ll say “South”. So we always willfully or unintentionally differed in everything, but still we are good friends.

He and his family are closely associated with Sai Baba.We were staying together in Bangalore. He was then a trainee in a medical transcription firm, while I was searching for a job. He always had the intention of going to Whitefield. He got the news that Baba is staying in Whitefield the whole week. He then asked me to come with him, I said yes. He was little skeptic of my instant approval to join him. We took the bus from Shivaji Nagar. On the way he casually asked what made me to join him. I said “Let me see him chumma. If they know I’m a non-believer then they won't let me in or what ?”.

That was a Saturday morning and it was crowded in the Whitefield ashram. He enquired about the time and got the news that Baba can come anytime. We left our chappals outside and went in. There were lots of people, but couldn't feel the rush, which we usually see in a Hindu temple. Everyone was calm and waiting. We waited from 11 AM till 3 PM. There was no sign of Baba and finally we came to know that he wont give the darshan today. My friend enquired and found that tomorrow there are chances to see Baba. My friend decided to come next day. 

We went outside to wear the chappal, but to find mine were missing!. We searched, but couldn't find. I thought somebody would have taken by mistake. So we waited till everyone left, then there was one pair of chappal left. The design was close to mine and so I thought someone should have taken mine by mistake. I wore that chappal and came home.

Next day, my friend asked “Are you coming?”. I said, “yes”. 
Looks like you want your slippers ?”.
I said “Lets see, if I can find it”.

Again that day, we waited. Being Sunday, the crowd was double. I was went out few times to see if I can find my slipper, but could find. At 3 PM, we got the news that Baba won't come today too!. 

Surprise, when I came out I couldn't see the slipper which I took the previous day. My friend said “The guy who took my slipper yesterday should had kept it”, but we couldn't find. He jokingly said “You didn't believe and this is a punishment”. I know he didn't mean it. We just laughed and walked towards the bus. I’m bare foot. The gods were happy.

**Above sutta image from Flickr


4 comments:

  1. Haha..Good one. The ending with the last sentence was super cool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The intention was not to make it sarcastic ;-)

      Delete
  2. Yes sir. If you have god believes you could found your slippers first day itself. but I don't know why god should play with your slippers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Murugan, Thanks for reading.

      But I'm not sure. According to me this was just another incident.

      Delete