Sunday, May 18, 2014

8 hours of work ?



Last week when I started my shift in the evening I thought of meeting this developer who was handling my client. I walked into the floor and asked for him. Let us keep his name as Michael Jackson. I didn't see him in his desk and I asked the other guy (Let’s name him Obama) in the next bay. Obama said “Michael Jackson will leave sharp by 7:30 PM!”. I couldn't transcribe the way in which Obama replied, it had lots of hidden meaning in it. The hidden message was “Michael Jackson won’t extend his shift and he won’t work for long hours”.

Most of us think that people who stay and work late are good workers\employees. And, people who leave on time, in spite of finishing their work are average\below average. The problem is not with the Michael Jackson kind of people, but with Obama’s. Some Obama’s are proud to say their long working hours.

There is this letter from N. R. Narayana Murthy which surfaces every now and then in the social media. He asks his employees to leave office on time. Every word in the letter is true. Most of us don’t have a hobby of our own. All we do is write some codes, crunch some numbers, talk to the people whom we will never meet in life and strive to meet our targets. On weekends, either jump into the pit of boozes or sleep like a lazy cat.

As usual, May Day passed quietly this month. When companies\corporates can celebrate Christmas, Deepavali, Holi and Ayuda Poojai…why can’t we celebrate May Day!! I'm not a big fan of these days, but it’s a shame that we didn't even exchange greetings or acknowledgement on May Day.

I don’t want to take history lesson here, google it for yourselves of what is a May Day.

8 Hours of work is still a dream.

**Above image by the blogger


No comments:

Post a Comment