Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Where Were You ( I ) ?




I would always associate myself with trivial things, like while I travel in train, I would think, who will occupy this seat, if I hadn't booked it ? This is something of less excitement, mundane and idiocratic thinking. So, I thought let me get into more such idiocratics, like associating myself with big or extravagant events and ask myself “ Where Were I” when the event happened ?, like- when Sachin blowed his nose, oops, sorry, when Sachin lifted the World Cup or some great personality was laid to rest in a violence. 


Indira Gandhi Assassination

It was a perfect day in the middle of the week, Oct 31st - 1984. My class teacher was busy in torturing us in the first period, suddenly the peon came running with a circular. Our Prime Minister is shot and school management in the fear of something big might happen, let the students to go home. Luckily my autokararrr, came back to pick me and my area-chottus. With no TV or live coverage then, radio was the only source, in the afternoon my grandfather ( AIR ) declared, I should say he translated the Hindi from AIR that Mrs. Gandhi is dead. There were hardly any TV’s around my hometown ( Krishnagiri ), I tried to wrestle through the crown in front of the only TV showroom ( Murthy Radios ) to catch the shots of the funeral. 


Gulf War

I was in mid of my schooling in Salem when the Gulf war happened, 1990-91. We never knew the dynamics of the war. We talked about this war in the hostel, most of us concluded that our hero is Saddam Hussian. George Bush, was always our enemy. The frequent question asked was, “Whom do you support ?”, invariably everyone gave the same answer- Saddam, including me. Thinking of it now, I don't know why we supported Saddam. A grown-up cant thinking innocently. There is no rationality in the joke, but still it was laughable then. 

Sometimes, my friends, will pop this question, What’s the name of the TV which Saddam won't like ? Bush TV.


Dissolution of USSR

At that time, 1991, I couldn't understand this event. One thing, I realized was that there is some problem in USSR, which again our favorite country ( Remember, Gulf War, enemy’s enemy is friend ). Also, most will remember this magazine, Misha, which was published from Moscow, our Calcutta comrades were distributing in India. I liked the magazine, but it was stopped after this event. It took lot of years for me to realize the actual happenings in Soviet Union.


Rajiv Gandhi Assassination

I was in Bangalore attending one of my relatives wedding. I think, it was two days after the wedding, May 21st 1991, around 1 AM ( now technically 22nd May ) in the night, my uncle knocked the door, someone opened the door, I was half asleep, I heard him saying “Rajiv Gandhi is killed”, I thought, it was a dream, only to realize in the morning that was real. We were supposed to travel back to my hometown that morning, but as in every death of political leaders the buses were stopped and it was a total shutdown. We were stuck at home for three to four days. I think the schools opened lately after the summer holidays.


1996 Cricket World Cup Semifinals

This happened when I was finishing my schooling. There were endless discussions on who will win the World Cup. Like, Bob Woolmer, wrote the strategy for South African team in Sportstar, we had our ( Me and my classmates ) own strategy for Indian team. Everything went perfect, except this match, our strategy was to win the toss and elect to bat, but Azhar had different plans, I lost hopes when he chose to field-first. When Jayasuriya and Kalu got out cheaply, my mood changed, but it was again shattered with Aravinda making quick 50 to take them for 250+. I don't like to revisit of what happened next, I might cry like Vinod Kambli.


Year 2000 - Y2K

If it was one common topic which was discussed by almost everyone in the planet in 1999, it should be the birth of year 2000. Someone said it is end-of-days, doomsday, someone said planes will crash, trains will collide, TV’s won't work, stock markets will crumble. But nothing happened, on Jan 1st, 2000, the sun rose normally and everything was same.


2001 Gujarat earthquake

This happened on Jan 26th, while I was travelling in train. I was literally in the footboard. It was my final graduation year. Me and my friends were back from Tirupathi, since exams were nearing they thought of praying and shaving their head to get good marks. I went to chumma like a road trip, may be thats why I got an arrear !!. We boarded the train from Katpadi to Jollarpet, the crowd was like can of worms. Back home, when I learnt about the earthquake, it beat the shit out of me, when I imagined what would have happen if the earthquake stuck TN at the time of my travel in the train.


Sep 11 attack on WTC

This event was a blow to the US face, this was like saying in Tamil, munjila en pechangaiya vekka. Then, I never knew this time zone differences. I was in college in Coimbatore, I was walking to my room from the mess hall, it was close to 9 PM IST, I saw a huge crowd in front of the TV. The scenes were horrific, I couldn't believe, an unthinkable has happened and it was real. Someone commented “nalla venum america karanuku”, some said “vechan paru appuu”. Later, I realized life is life, and it must be valued, be it American or Indian.


2004 Tsunami

Finished college, roamed in Bangalore and now started working in Chennai. Just getting used to the Saturday night parties, woke-up with a mild hangover on Sunday. One of my roommate who just entered the room said that the Coovam river is flowing in reverse direction !!. Then we learnt it was Tsunami, a guy who was a Discovery channel addict said “Tsunami in India, no chance”. Sometimes mother Nature is a cruel master.


T20 ICC WorldCup - 2007

In the midst of the these words- Clients, customers, calls, process, documentation, AHT, Microsoft, Resolution Rate, OVS, ODS. I forgot the word Cricket. Until India meet Pakisthan in the final I didn't know the happenings in the tournament. When it came to final showdown of the last over, I ran to the pantry hall, only to find a huge crowd and they were successful in blocking the view, with the cheers I guessed India won. 


ODI World Cup - 2011

This time it was not like the T20 world cup, because we had a big TV inside the work floor. But, when the tournament was nearing to the finals, the TV’s were switched off due internal security reasons. So I thought to taking a leave for finals or to change my offs. I didn't realise Saturday was the final, I took the cab, the cab driver during the chit-chat asked “Sir, innaiku yaru win panuvange”, I gave him a puzzled look saying “Anna, nalaiku than match”. After awhile we concluded that the match is today and due to start in an hour. Hmm. can't turn back now, but surprise in the office to see the TV’s were on !!.

If you had survived till now reading this. Thanks. I can see the blood.












No comments:

Post a Comment