Thursday, July 11, 2013

Music & Me - 1



Music and Indian' life is inseparable, especially with Tamil. Be it folk song, Carnatic, Gana, Tamil film song, devotional songs- these are close to our lives, irrespective of which class you belong. I’m going to share my joyful experience, remember these are prior to MP3, iPod days.

Most of Tamil population likes film music. Being born at the start of 1980’s, I didn't have much privilege of enjoying Illayaraja’ music on the initial release, but my parents used to say that I like “Idu Oru Pon Mallai Pozudu..” from Nizalgal when I was just a few months old baby. (Everyone will have a favorite song as a toddler).

At the age of 10,11,12… you don’t give much importance to music, there are lots of other distractions, like playing street cricket, riding a korangu pedal cycle, chasing dogs… Back then people relied on music cassettes,  Rs 30 – 40 ( called as Company cassette, original, just one movie ) and there was onr for Rs 10 ( Copied – Pirated, with two movies ). The other medium to listen film songs was DD, Oilyum Oilyum , they used to telecast 5 – 6 songs, if we get an extra song then it is a jackpot of the week.

The other source to listen is to have a “Musicals” shop near to your home or if you have a neighbor who had a good music system. One of my neighbor anna, an unemployed-youth had two big wooden speaker boxes decorating his living room and he called it as stereo set.

I am not sure how it was Madras bus services then, but in rest of Tamil Nadu it was private buses which ruled the route, every bus would have a better music system. An hour ride you can hear latest hits.


My conscious listening to music started when I was around fifteen. Illayaraja Vs AR Rahman, Walkman, CD’s… more to come in the next post.

ABOVE picture Collage by the blogger.

PS: Download 90's fame Sirippo Sirippu from this blog link





No comments:

Post a Comment