Wednesday, February 13, 2013

My take on Best Picture Nominees - Oscar 2013



 Here is my take on the best picture nominees of the US Academy Awards 2013. This should be the first time I watched all the films in the best picture category.


Amour
Sweet little story of an elderly couple living in Paris. The movie plays on universal theme of neglecting older people. Read my full review here. 6/10

Zero Dark Thirty
Again a real life based movie, the story is about hunting of Bin Laden, just this fact is enough watch the film. Well-paced movie. Directed by The Hurt Locker Kathryn Bigelow. 6/10


Lincoln

Directed by Steven Spielberg, but I didn't find much Spielberg'ism in it. If your not aware of US history, better do your homework to watch this film. Chances of winning best picture 7.5/10

Silver Linings Playbook

Romantic comedy, could be a classic as it's nominated in all acting categories. Are they working on a strategy to win best picture, chances are 6/10.
Life of Pi
Beautiful adaptation of the novel and good use of 3D imagery with some dose of spiritual and philosophical elements, does this fetch the best picture, 6.5/10


Les Miserables
It’s a musical of the Victor Hugo novel. Even though I liked the story, the sets, cinematography and the costumes, without dialogues it was odd watch for me. 5/10.


Argo

Based on true facts of rescuing US embassy employees in Teheran, Iran. It's an edge of the seat thriller. A drama Rambo-style. Chances of winning best picture 7.5/10


Beasts of the Southern wild

They said it's a fantasy film, so I have to keep reminding myself that this is fantasy, while watching, cause sometimes it goes on like a real time story. Excellent music score.  5.5/10

Django Unchained
This should be Quarentino Unchained. I kind of liked the film, except the ending, which IMO ruined a superb film. 5/10





The "chances" # are just my take, doesn't reflect any analysis.


No comments:

Post a Comment